The Project Controller is a key member of the project team and works directly with the Project Manager to help define the project's goals and objectives, creating and maintaining a project's budget and schedule, analysing progress reported against work schedules, and recommending actions to improve progress.
- Maximise productivity by supporting the project team and all resources
- Enter new projects, clients, and resources on the Electronic Project Management System (EPMS) and SAP
- Assist with the compilation and processing of monthly project invoices, taking ownership of the processing of invoices for assigned projects
- Creation of products and charges as required on EPMS
- Work alongside project management to develop and deliver project reports via EPMS and other systems
- Develop and produce project trackers using native SAP data and coordinating with Project Managers to update forecasts
- Work as an EPMS ‘Super-User’ to support team members and assist with long term development plans for EPMS
- Implement and monitor Resource Plans across projects
- Monitor CTR and DDS trackers across assigned projects including Earned Value reporting
- Assist with the compilation and issuing of all necessary cost and schedule progress reports, including earned value, in line with company procedures, and act in a timely manner to correct any issues likely to result in poorer outturn figures
- Production, compilation, issue, receipt and filing of project documentation between departments, clients, and sub-contractors, including tender documents, design drawings/documents, data dossiers and certification manuals, ensuring traceability and conformance to company quality standards within assigned projects
- Expediting timely responses to technical queries and variation orders on assigned projects
- Generating purchase orders specific to project requirement on SAP
- Maintaining, updating, and proof-reading project documentation including registers, cost spreadsheets and quality plan etc., on assigned projects
- Ensure all project and test documentation is correctly produced and securely filed, being submitted to the client within contract timescales
- Implement company procedures, or any other instructions given by the Project Manager or other management, ensuring that all controls are in place
- Proof reading project documentation including registers and cost spreadsheets.
- Assisting with internal audits
- Able to budget, cost and price various products and services
- Able to produce accurate financial reports and analysis
- Able to effectively and efficiently produce and report cost and time within a project.
- Good understanding of how to achieve effective contract management
- Can effectively deal with change and claims
- Able to analyse the Engineering and Construction project environment.
- Understands project and contract terms and invoicing procedures
- Shows awareness and monitoring of WIP
- Can conduct simple procurement exercises, including setting evaluation criteria and ranking potential suppliers
- Good understanding of change management in relation to scope management, document control and version control
- Understands the need for ethical working, values, integrity and codes of conduct and the need to observe these in the execution of work in a way that contributes to professionalism
- Has the ability to communicate project controls information effectively to a range of stakeholders including technical and non-technical audiences
- Can identify and quantify project-related risks and opportunities
- Can recommend contingencies and/or mitigation of risks
- Can review information and identify assumptions, gaps, conflicting data, ambiguities, actions to take to resolve the above
- Good ability to produce a document that details the scope of the project
- Understands the implications of a sound approach to the development of and use of diverse types of breakdown and coding structures
- Prepare and present breakdown and coding structures that meet project requirements and are flexible
- Able to gather and validate the information required to produce schedules
- Able to determine timescales for component activities and check that developed timescales are consistent with achieving the requirements
- Able to develop basis of schedule/schedule narrative
- Can develop the initial budget for control of work scope delivery using cost estimates, project schedules and breakdown structures
- Has an organised approach to the maintenance of project files
- Has good attention to detail
- Has good working knowledge of Microsoft Office i.e., Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Is confident to learn software tools to support project activities
- Achievement of Key Performance Indicators and Service Level Agreements, as set by your line manager from time-to-time
- Satisfied clients, both internal and/or external
- Timely completion of work
- Quality of work
- Adherence to relevant processes, procedures, and Policies
- Team Spirit
Commercial & Risk
- Inform project manager / line manager of potential risks identified in a timely manner.
- Work within allocated CTR or allocated hours where applicable.
- Demonstrate clear understating of relevant commercial and budgetary landscape.
- Work to agreed plans, using initiative to identify improvements/savings.
- Function as an ambassador for the Company, always presenting the right image to existing and potential clients.
- To attend meetings and forums, representing the Company.
- Forge links and establish communication with relevant colleagues and other stakeholders.
Health, Safety, Environment & Quality
- Inform line/project manager of potential project risks identified in a timely manner.
- Working within the Company’s ISO9001:2008 quality systems.
- Responsible for own safety at work.
- Consideration to be given to others in working environment.
- Adhere to Company and client health and safety procedures.
- Comply with – and work to - relevant procedures, policies, processes, and standards, to meet the required level of quality in all outputs.
- Zero non-conformances to all Company, client, and project specific quality and safety plans.
- Adherence to PPE requirements, where applicable.
- Keep up to date with latest industry and functional standards, technology, and norms.
- Be familiar with all relevant systems.
- A good understanding of the availability and use of all relevant electronic tools and software.
- Full awareness and understanding of relevant legislation and standards, and their practical application.
- Awareness and understanding of all relevant Company Policies, processes, and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- The role is required to have a formal UK qualification in Project Controls.
- Degree or master's degree in a related field.
- Experience in a # role.
- Leadership experience.
- People skills.
- Honesty, integrity, and reliability.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills.
- High diligence.
- Organisational skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Research skills.
- Analytical skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office, particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Good presentation skills (PowerPoint).
- Understanding of data privacy standards.
These roles and responsibilities are issued as a guideline to help you understand the duties you are expected to undertake as part of your role. They may be subject to change from time-to-time to meet business needs, and you may be required to carry-out additional duties that are reasonably consistent with your skills and status.