To create a positive approach to accident prevention and to efficiently control and monitor the Health, Safety and Environmental matters of the works assigned.
- To advise on Safety Training needs, develop and maintain a Training program for all employees and carry out Safety Training as required.
- To encourage worker participation through safety suggestions, safety meeting feedback, safety incentives, prepare and display safety communications and posters.
- To audit work areas, premises and process and activities, report deficiencies for action and monitor follow up action.
- To monitor the standard and effectiveness of statutory examinations of plant, equipment and electrical appliances and installations and their associated records.
- To audit, monitor and regularly inspect equipment ensuring that it is safe for its intended purpose and maintained in good condition.
- To monitor and check the issue of P.P.E. to employees and ensure everyone knows how, when and why to use it.
- To ensure suitable first aid equipment is readily available, suitably marked and that there are adequate numbers of trained first aiders.
- To check and monitor fire precautions, emergency procedures and ensure firefighting equipment is maintained in good order, and correctly distributed around the work area and accommodation
- To record and process accident reports and prepare visual statistics.
- To review and update safety action plans, and ensure that people have acknowledged acceptance of their allocated responsibilities.
- To ensure that site management and supervision are aware of and understand the company safety policy and safety procedures and have access to relevant safety documentation e.g. company safety procedures manual, construction safety (CITB).
- To assess and monitor the safety performance of subcontractors.
- Where appropriate, has the authority to stop any work activity, which in their opinion involves a risk of serious personal injury to any person. After stopping the work, they must immediately inform the site manager and report to the safety manager by the quickest means.
- Able to provide advice and guidance on safe working practices and current Health and Safety legislation.
- Can confidently report accidents and incidents as required under RIDDOR regulations.
- Proactively ensures all Health and Safety documentation is fully compliant with current legislation.
- Able to confidently carry out Face Fit testing when required.
- Able to confidently carry out site Drug and Alcohol tests when required.
- Proactively prepares COSHH assessments for all substances and chemicals used by the business.
- Able to undertake DSE assessments for computer users within the business.
- Able to conduct thorough site safety inspections and risk assessments.
- Regularly uses analytical skills to produce Company Health and Safety statistics.
- Responds to incidents in a timely manner and can carry out a thorough investigation process if required.
- Utilises a number of root cause analysis techniques and identifies corrective actions.
- Can produce clear and concise reports on the action necessary to minimise the effects of the conditions detected by audits.
- Can independently carry out site audits and produce clear site audit reports.
- Encourages the development of creating a positive culture of Health and Safety in the workplace.
- Ensures that Health and Safety information is practical and easily understandable by non-specialists.
- Is able to identify the requirements for and co-ordinate relevant Health and Safety training for their area of responsibility.
- Is competent carrying out and presenting site and Company inductions.
- Is competent planning and delivering toolbox talks.
- Reports occupational Health and Safety issues to senior management.
- Is competent challenging unsafe behaviour/attitudes at any level when encountered.
- Is competent carrying out Health and Safety training in the workplace.
- Is competent attending meetings with key stakeholders to discuss safety performance.
- Manages the safety induction of new employees within the business.
- Can administer first aid to injured persons.
- Achievement of Key Performance Indicators and Service Level Agreements, as set by your line manager from time-to-time
- Satisfied clients, both internal and/or external
- Timely completion of work
- Quality of work
- Adherence to relevant processes, procedures, and Policies
- Team Spirit
Commercial & Risk
- Inform project manager / line manager of potential risks identified in a timely manner.
- Work within allocated CTR or allocated hours where applicable.
- Demonstrate clear understating of relevant commercial and budgetary landscape.
- Work to agreed plans, using initiative to identify improvements/savings.
- Function as an ambassador for the Company, always presenting the right image to existing and potential clients.
- To attend meetings and forums, representing the Company.
- Forge links and establish communication with relevant colleagues and other stakeholders.
Health, Safety, Environment & Quality
- Inform line/project manager of potential project risks identified in a timely manner.
- Working within the Company’s ISO9001:2008 quality systems.
- Responsible for own safety at work.
- Consideration to be given to others in working environment.
- Adhere to Company and client health and safety procedures.
- Comply with – and work to - relevant procedures, policies, processes, and standards, to meet the required level of quality in all outputs.
- Zero non-conformances to all Company, client, and project specific quality and safety plans.
- Adherence to PPE requirements, where applicable.
- Keep up to date with latest industry and functional standards, technology, and norms.
- Be familiar with all relevant systems.
- A good understanding of the availability and use of all relevant electronic tools and software.
- Full awareness and understanding of relevant legislation and standards, and their practical application.
- Awareness and understanding of all relevant Company Policies, processes, and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- The role is required to have a formal UK qualification in Health and Safety.
- NEBOSH essential.
- Experience in a site-based Health and Safety role.
- Leadership experience.
- People skills.
- Honesty, integrity, and reliability.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills.
- High diligence.
- Organisational skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Analytical skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office, particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Good presentation skills.
- Understanding of data privacy standards.
These roles and responsibilities are issued as a guideline to help you understand the duties you are expected to undertake as part of your role. They may be subject to change from time-to-time to meet business needs, and you may be required to carry-out additional duties that are reasonably consistent with your skills and status.