Purpose: The Project Controller is a key member of the project team and works directly with the Project Manager to help define the project's goals and objectives, creating and maintaining a project's budget and schedule, analysing progress reported against work schedules, and recommending actions to improve progress.
Main Accountabilities & Competencies:
Our Commercial team is looking to recruit an experienced Project Controller / Quantity Surveyor to join our rapidly growing team focused around delivery of our Engineering and Construction based projects. The role will form part of a wider team and will involve managing both individual projects along with a wider portfolio of frameworks.
- Preparing internal and external reports and financial reconciliations to communicate the anticipated performance of the project.
- Maximise productivity by supporting the project team and investigating and reporting on any material variation to plan
- Prepare and submit Applications for payments to clients in a timely manner – engaging with the clients commercial team on a regular basis
- Work alongside the wider project management team to develop and deliver project reports via EPMS and other systems.
- Develop and produce project trackers using native SAP data and coordinating with Project Managers to update forecasts.
- Implement and monitor Resource Plans across projects.
- Monitor CTR and other trackers across assigned projects including Earned Value reporting.
- Assist with the compilation and issuing of all necessary cost and schedule progress reports, including earned value, in line with company procedures, and act in a timely manner to correct any issues likely to result in poorer outturn figures.
- Production, compilation, issue, receipt and filing of project documentation between departments, clients, and sub-contractors, including tender documents, design drawings/documents, data dossiers and certification manuals, ensuring traceability and conformance to company quality standards within assigned projects.
- Expediting timely responses to technical queries and variation orders on assigned projects.
- Maintaining, updating, and proof-reading project documentation including registers, cost spreadsheets and quality plan etc., on assigned projects.
- Ensure all project and test documentation is correctly produced and securely filed, being submitted to the client within contract timescales.
- Proof reading project documentation including registers and cost spreadsheets.
- Sub- contract administration including developing sub-contract documents, reviewing, and agreeing valuations, managing variations, and negotiating final accounts.
- Reviewing project work scopes, notifying, and preparing variations as necessary
- Able to budget, cost and price various products and services.
- Able to produce accurate financial reports and analysis.
- Able to effectively and efficiently produce and report cost and time within a project.
- Good understanding of how to achieve effective contract management.
- Can effectively deal with change and claims.
- Able to analyse the Engineering and Construction project environment.
- Understands project and contract terms and invoicing procedures.
- Shows awareness and monitoring of WIP.
- Can conduct simple procurement exercises, including setting evaluation criteria and ranking potential suppliers.
- Good understanding of change management in relation to scope management, document control and version control.
- Understands the need for ethical working, values, integrity and codes of conduct and the need to observe these in the execution of work in a way that contributes to professionalism.
- Has the ability to communicate project controls information effectively to a range of stakeholders including technical and non-technical audiences.
- Can identify and quantify project-related risks and opportunities.
- Can recommend contingencies and/or mitigation of risks.
- Can review information and identify assumptions, gaps, conflicting data, ambiguities, actions to take to resolve the above.
- Good ability to produce a document that details the scope of the project.
- Understands the implications of a sound approach to the development of and use of diverse types of breakdown and coding structures.
- Prepare and present breakdown and coding structures that meet project requirements and are flexible.
- Able to gather and validate the information required to produce schedules.
- Able to determine timescales for component activities and check that developed timescales are consistent with achieving the requirements.
- Able to develop basis of schedule/schedule narrative.
- Can develop the initial budget for control of work scope delivery using cost estimates, project schedules and breakdown structures.
- Has an organised approach to the maintenance of project files.
- Has good attention to detail.
- Has good working knowledge of Microsoft Office i.e., Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Is confident to learn software tools to support project activities.
- Achievement of Key Performance Indicators and Service Level Agreements, as set by your line manager from time-to-time.
- Satisfied clients, both internal and/or external.
- Timely completion of work.
- Quality of work.
- Adherence to relevant processes, procedures, and Policies.
- Team Spirit.
Commercial & Risk:
- Inform project manager / line manager of potential risks identified in a timely manner.
- Work within allocated CTR or allocated hours where applicable.
- Demonstrate clear understating of relevant commercial and budgetary landscape.
- Work to agreed plans, using initiative to identify improvements/savings.
- Function as an ambassador for the Company, always presenting the right image to existing and potential clients.
- To attend meetings and forums, representing the Company.
- Forge links and establish communication with relevant colleagues and other stakeholders.
Health, Safety, Environment & Quality:
- Inform line/project manager of potential project risks identified in a timely manner.
- Working within the Company’s ISO9001:2008 quality systems.
- Responsible for own safety at work.
- Consideration to be given to others in working environment.
- Adhere to Company and client health and safety procedures.
- Comply with – and work to - relevant procedures, policies, processes, and standards, to meet the required level of quality in all outputs.
- Zero non-conformances to all Company, client, and project specific quality and safety plans.
- Adherence to PPE requirements, where applicable.
- Keep up to date with latest industry and functional standards, technology, and norms.
- Be familiar with all relevant systems.
- A good understanding of the availability and use of all relevant electronic tools and software.
- Full awareness and understanding of relevant legislation and standards, and their practical application.
- Awareness and understanding of all relevant Company Policies, processes, and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
- The role is required to have a formal UK qualification in Project Controls.
- Degree or master's degree in a related field.
- Experience in a # role.
- Leadership experience.
- People skills.
- Honesty, integrity, and reliability.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills.
- High diligence.
- Organisational skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Research skills.
- Analytical skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office, particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Good presentation skills (PowerPoint).
- Understanding of data privacy standards.