Purpose: The Estimator is responsible for developing estimate plans, contributing to and overseeing the detailed development of estimates, coordinating with other departments as required and conducting estimate reviews with the Estimating Manager.
Main Accountabilities & Competencies:
- Prepare and manage estimate/bid packages, ensuring all required documentation/information is included, Assist in (and when required) lead the development of the construction execution plan, which will form part of the basis of the estimate, Read and interpret ITT documentation
- Participate in tender analysis and capability analysis, Determine or develop personnel rate cards along with senior management, Prepare discipline by discipline quantity take-offs (Electrical, Instrumentation, Fire Detection etc.)
- Work with subcontracts and suppliers to prepare and distribute subcontractor & materials RFQ packages for work within project scope but not performed internally, including defining the scope of work, providing drawings, specifications and required documentation
- Develop detailed indirect estimates, both onsite and off-site support, Complete detailed cost calculations including indirect, direct labour, material, rentals, subcontracts, and equipment;
- Gather, analyse, input and compile information for negotiated work; partake in operations handovers
- General support to clients and business development activities, Demonstrates ability to support BDEV and close out pending opportunities from the weekly sales report, Demonstrates a skill set in customer relations.
- Demonstrates support to the business sector(s) annual business plans, Has the ability to prepare Pre-Invitation to Tender (ITT) information for forthcoming opportunities in the pipeline.
- Has the skill set to thoroughly review client enquiries including instructions to tenderers and specifications and prepare commercial and technical detailed proposals instructions for small, medium and complex tenders.
- Has the skill set to thoroughly reviews client enquiries including specifications and drawings to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate, Demonstrates the ability to undertake the role of Bid Manager.
- Demonstrates the ability to deal with and liaise with customers during the tender period, Has the ability to manage and run internal approval meetings.Can plan, organise and direct all elements of bid delivery including minor and major tenders. Manages the development of proposal responses as required following CPP15:
- Can set and manage the proposal schedule and allocate responsibilities to the bid team, in line with the tender governance procedures, ensuring the bid team are on target throughout the proposal process.
- Make recommendations ref: Bid / No Bid decision, Demonstrates the ability to translates the Win Strategy into key themes throughout the proposal document.
- Coordinates proposal preparation, formatting, editing, reviews, reproduction and delivery of minor and major tenders, Ensure that all sales documents comply with our company communication guides and client confidentiality requirements.
- Ensure timely submission of proposals to client deadlines, Ensures all working documents and data are organised and maintained to back-up estimate figures including effective liaison during the estimating phase between various company departments to establish continuity and consistency, Demonstrates continuous improvement.
- Supports handover to projects and specific project support, Ability to coordinate and manage the risk and opportunities register, Ability to provide high level top down budget estimates.
- Ability to prepare estimate plans describing how we plan to estimate projects (small, medium and large projects), Ability to prepare different types of estimates such as reimbursable, target cost and lump sum.
- Demonstrates the skills set to prepare multidiscipline estimates such as labour supply, equipment installation, piping, structural steelwork, electrical, instrumentation and control and civil works.
- Ability to complete client workbooks: Simple, moderate and complex, Prepares a basis of estimate to clarify our tendered position (commercial and technical), Liaise with legal with regards terms and conditions and understands the legal governance, Demonstrates the ability to write sections of the ITT including commercial and technical sections of the proposal response.
- Assists the assigned Bid Manager in the preparation of the technical content including project execution methodology and supporting documents such as schedule, personnel nominations, man-hours, deliverables lists, technical clarifications and deviations, Shows commitment and skill to achieve the required levels of quality in the execution of proposal preparation and estimating activities.
- Able to co-ordinate proposals in a timely manner to achieve tight deadlines, Able to gain customer confidence and able to influence customers.
- Achievement of Key Performance Indicators and Service Level Agreements, as set by your line manager from time-to-time, Satisfied clients, both internal and/or external, Timely completion of work.
- Quality of work, Adherence to relevant processes, procedures, and Policies, Professionalism, Integrity, Trust.
Commercial & Risk:
- Inform project manager / line manager of potential risks identified in a timely manner, Work within allocated CTR or allocated hours where applicable, Demonstrate clear understating of relevant commercial and budgetary landscape.
- Work to agreed plans, using initiative to identify improvements/savings, Function as an ambassador for the Company, always presenting the right image to existing and potential clients.
- To attend meetings and forums, representing the Company. Forge links and establish communication with relevant colleagues and other stakeholders.
- Keep up to date with latest industry and functional standards, technology, and norms, Be familiar with all relevant systems, A good understanding of the availability and use of all relevant electronic tools and software.
- Full awareness and understanding of relevant legislation and standards, and their practical application. Awareness and understanding of all relevant Company Policies, processes, and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
- The role is required to have a formal UK qualification in estimating, engineering, or construction, Experience in an estimating role, People skills, Honesty, integrity, and reliability, Solid written and verbal communication skills.
- High diligence, Organisational skills, Critical thinking and problem-solving skills, Research skills, Analytical skills, Excellent computer skills, including MS Office, particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Good presentation skills (PowerPoint),Understanding of data privacy standards.